Thursday, October 22, 2009

Oct 22, 2009

Wow, life is not without those little bumps on the road...
I have been putting a lot of effort into making sure that Emma (7 yrs old) will do well in school. I have been talking with her teacher often and do everything I have been asked to do with her. Emma had not gone into her classroom on time after recess for some time. We had a meeting with her teacher and determined a plan of action to curve the behavior. I met with her last week, and she said that Emma is much improved and is even doing some great writing. Then this morning, I talk to Doug. He got a phone call from the principal, she made Emma explain to her dad that she didn't go into the classroom after she got off the bus, and came into the classroom 20 minutes late. She was sobbing, and he could not understand a word she said. Then Doug gets into a heated argument with the principal about the fact that he can't ensure Emma will go to her classroom when he isn't even there and can't possibly be there. The principal said she wanted to have us ensure that this doesn't happen again.
Well, apparently, this whole conversation was on speaker phone (I told Doug this is not good for the principal to be undermined by him, but no matter). I don't know what else I can do to make sure she is there ready for learning. I get her on that bus, and off she goes, and then, I had assumed, the school made sure she did what was required. The principal actually asked if we have told Emma how important it is to follow the school rules. "No, Mrs XXXXX, we are anarchists, we tell Emma not to listen or do what you say, that is just what we do..." *dripping with sarcasm*
I am at a loss. What more can I do? We don't think she is being rebellious, but if that is the case, then what is going on?
One thing we know for sure, in the school principal's view, we are the problem, no other children ever do this, and we must fix it.
Being a parent is definitely much harder as kids get older. The solutions are much harder to come by, and the behavior less easily changed. Everyone at the school makes it seem as if Emma is the only child that gets distracted like that. If this is true, I am not sure what I can do to help.
If anyone can give me some helpful suggestions or advise, it would be greatly appreciated!
Hopefully the next post will be on a much more positive note, if anything, I have learned that life is full of ups and downs, and by next week, this whole uncomfortable episode might be a distant memory.
Until next time.

2 comments:

  1. I don't have kids so I don't have any suggestions but I do have a question. Is there a chance that something is happening making her late like hiding from bullies? We always had playground moniters when I was in school to ensure all the kids made it inside after recess and in the morning. They should have someone watching the playground for kids misbehaving anyway. Why doesn't that person see Emma still outside and tell her it's time to come in. If she simply loses track of time maybe a friend in class can help her remember. However, part of me thinks thereay be something she's avoiding at school. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to speak with the principal and the teacher today. The playground monitors apparently failed to make sure she went in, and Emma was too concerned about getting some leafs to use in an art project. We did agree that Emma will have a fourth grade buddy that will help remind her when she is running late so that this will not happen again.
    Thank you so much for the great advice, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete